Sunday, September 30

Why I made my own silk artificial wedding flowers


With my wedding budget spreadsheet firmly in place I knew a few items would have to give and for me, although flowers are a beautiful extravagance, they were just too much of an extravagance. I couldn’t bare the idea of spending thousands decorating my tables, ceremony room and then bouquets and buttonholes only for them to die a few days later. 

Our wedding date in between Christmas and New Year also proved an issue as many of the flower markets would be closed in-between that period and there would be certain flowers we wouldn’t be able to get.

So, I took the risk and opted to make my own wedding flowers from silk flowers bought online and video tutorials off YouTube.

YouTube has an absolute tonne of help and all I did was search for 'how to make silk wedding flowers' and watched 4 or 5 to get me trained. Simple as that! 

The one below from Momma from Scratch I think is particularly useful. 



It was a little nerve-wracking but as a 'crafter' at heart I secretly relished at the challenge.

It took me about 2 months of evenings to complete the 7 table bouquets, 4 small posies for the aisle chairs in the ceremony room, my own bouquet and 3 for the bridesmaids and 9 button holes for the groomsmen. 




Not a small task now I’m totting it all up!

However, I really enjoyed doing it, found it surprisingly simple, loved having full control over the look and feel of my flowers and saved a BOMB. (and still had a few left over to decorate my wedding cake!)



I saved at a minimum £850 with most full wedding flower package in the London and Surrey area averaging between £1,000 - £1,500.

Here’s my wedding flower cost breakdown:

3x Ribbon rolls for bouquets (on sale in Clintons) - £3.00
Total cost for silk flowers + Delivery £135.27
Buttonhole pins (20 x 6mm 3.5cm Diamante Craft Pins from Ebay) and 2 thickness types of Green Galvanised Floral Wire: £6.88 
2x Green paper stem wrap - £2.00
Jute twine from hobbycraft - £2.00

Total: 149.15

Item’s I already had but you’ll need:

Love 
LauraClaire

In case you missed them... 
Easy Handmade Autumn Winder Wedding Place Cards

How I decorated my Reception Venue

How to make your own beautiful silk artificial wedding flowers

The importance of an on-the-day wedding planner


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading. I love to get feedback and comments so please use the comment box below to post your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts