Tuesday, October 22

Starting up a business on Maternity Leave

Hello!

So, I've got rather big news. If you've not already heard, I've started up my own mum clothing brand called Mother Knows Best.



First things first. Why?  

Well, I managed to resign from my job in corporate marketing 2 weeks before I found out I was pregnant - that's always a sure fire way to get your creating juices flowing! 

Also, once my gorgeous boy did finally arrive I realised pretty quick that my plan to simply find another 9 to 5 in around 9 months time just wasn't going to work for me. I wanted to be around. 


So, when he was 4 months old I summoned the strength to start cogs in motion on my business idea. 

I'd used the long nights cluster feeding to come up with it of course. It needed to be a product rather than a service. Selling something physical mean't technically I could pick and pack in between naps and in the evening once baby was in bed. 

I'd tried a little freelancing and it was too time consuming and stressful trying to meet other peoples deadlines.


It needed to have a purpose and be something I was passionate about. Motherhood was a beautiful whirlwind to me. I was totally in love with my son but I'd some how lost myself in it all. Mother Knows Best clothing was the start of finding me again. I also wanted to set aside some of the profits to go toward great motherhood-focused charities to help mums that weren't as lucky as me. 

I found a website designer who would work for a reasonable price, hunted down clothing companies and transfer printers and got my hands dirty writing content and designing slogans. 

My passion drove me and within 2 months I had launched the website and was promoting MKB through social media channels Instagram and Facebook with the handle @motherknowsbest_shop

We're a month in from the website going live and the orders are trickling in. Friends have helped but every time an order comes through from a name I don't recognise it drives me on to do more. 

I feel so alive having started up my own online business on Maternity leave. It certainly wasn't the easiest option to do postpartum but one that I think has made me happier and more fulfilled - which can only be a good thing for my son. 


As they say, happy mum... happy baby. 

Have you set up a business as a new mum or had a business with young children around? If so, comment below! I want to connect with brilliant like-minded mamas - it's possible to do great things if you put your mind to it. 

Love
LauraClaire 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading. I love to get feedback and comments so please use the comment box below to post your thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts